Friday, August 25, 2017

Beautiful Scars: Helping to Build a Community of Music



The Newsy Neighbbour Magazine
August Issue 118
Article Provided By: Kyle W Penn


The Beautiful Scars
Helping to Build a Community of Music

Music has always been one of the most formative and influential forces in my life. Music has helped me grow into the person I am today, but it’s also played a much larger role in my life. I’ve made the friends I have, done the things I’ve accomplished, and live the life I do largely because of the impact song and rhythm has had on my life. Never has this been clearer to me than during one evening spent this summer with local band The Beautiful Scars.

It was a warm evening in July – warm being an understatement, actually, as this particular night came on the heels of a +30°C day – when I drove out to Strathmore. Arm resting outside the window, dry heat blowing and swirling around inside my car, prairie scenery whipping by, I was heading out to meet up with The Beautiful Scars. A three-piece consisting of Kevin Knopf on guitar, Kurt Rock on drums, and Darren Genoves on bass, The Beautiful Scars haven’t been around for a very long time. However, like myself, each member of the band was drawn together through a mutual love of music and song: Knopf and Genoves met through a mutual friend and started playing music together thanks to some guitars hanging on a wall, while Rock was added to the mix later on through the recommendation of a friend due to his prowess behind the drum kit. Ultimately, then, The Beautiful Scars came to be thanks to the exact same force that has been so influential in my life throughout the years – the power and community of music.

This evening was going to be a bit of a special one, however, because I wasn’t headed out to a bar or venue to see The Beautiful Scars perform. Rather, I had been invited to their private gig space, for a front-row view as the band worked out their set for their upcoming Battle of the Bands performance at Legends on August 3. To speak to the power that music has to bring people together, it was actually at an earlier Battle of the Bands showcase that Knopf had invited The Newsy Neighbour to come and check out the practice that night in the infamous Popcorn Studios – so-named for the time it had once served as a private residential screening room, complete with old-school popcorn popper and theatre seating!

As I made myself comfortable in one of the plush, multiplex-style chairs, Knopf, Rock, and Genoves got set up and joked back and forth with one another before playing a set so tight and well-rehearsed that it seemed more like an on-stage performance than a casual band practice with an audience of one. It was clear that while The Beautiful Scars have only been together a short time now, each member brought both immeasurable amounts of talent and decades of experience to the table. The bass lines punched and snapped as Genoves walked up and down the neck of his instrument; Rock’s hooky drum fills burst from the nooks and crannies of every song; and Knopf’s lyricism and guitar work were nothing short of electrifying. No two songs were alike, but each riff and lyric fit within the bigger sound of The Beautiful Scars with unquestionable authenticity – a difficult feat to achieve, that. It was an incredible treat to experience such an up-close and intimate look at the inner workings of a local band, and I humbly thank The Beautiful Scars for the opportunity and invitation to be there that evening.

After the rehearsal had wrapped, Genoves, Rock, and Knopf sat down to chat with me. We waxed philosophical about music, recording, and the pains and pleasures of rock n roll. With an EP in the works and a busy schedule of touring ahead of them, The Beautiful Scars have an eventful and exciting year on the horizon. I’ll often dedicate swathes of this column to meaningful quotes from conversations I have with local artists, but I’ll beg the pardon of The Beautiful Scars to instead allow me to focus on something else I took away from that evening. Speaking to the band that night, and being privy to such a unique experience, the topic of a music community kept coming up again and again. It was how the band met, and how I had met them. It seemed that over and over, throughout the course of our conversation, we kept coming back to how incredibly important maintaining a healthy music scene and community really is.

The Newsy Neighbour has always been about fostering and growing local community. Whether it be within Langdon, Chestermere, Strathmore, or one of the outlying areas, the mandate of this magazine has ever been to promote local goings-on, and to bring people together. In my opinion – and in my experience – there are few convergences that exemplify the positive elements of supportive community more than a strong and vibrant local music scene. I’ve been dedicated to this monthly music column not just because writing about music is fun (it totally is!), but because in the back of my mind, I hope that it’s working towards building a scene of music where people can come out to shows, meet new people, have a great evening, and rest assured that they’ll run into friends there that they know and love, each and every time.

All of the most important people in my life, I’ve met through music – and I want nothing more than to help create and be part of a community of music-lovers where similar bonds and relationships are formed on the regular. There is an astounding wealth of talent and personality within the music scene in our varied towns and hamlets, and it’s exciting to see a real, solid community start to form and coalesce within the midst of it all. Music begets music, and community begets community. I can’t encourage everyone strongly enough to keep making music, to keep playing shows, and to keep coming together for the love of rhythm, lyrics, and musical talent. The music community out here is only just beginning to come into its own – and it’s dedicated bands like The Beautiful Scars (and people like Knopf, Rock and Genoves) that are going to help it grow bigger and more supportive yet. Keep up the good work, everyone – you’re doing your community proud! 

No comments: